i'm afraid of life

lying here waiting for sleep to overtake me.

Monday, November 28, 2005


"Note: In the summer of '73 surveillance monitors were installed in the Times Square area of New York City. -D.H."

that's a note from daryl hall to help explain his song "I'm Watching You( A Mutant Romance)" off of the groups "war babies" album. it is my latest favorite album. it was produced by Todd Rundgren who, apparently, in an acid fueled craze, thought the world was ready for this album. it was not. it's fucked up, but not FUCKED UP. it's insanity is subtle and, to my ears, more the result of hall and oates songwriting than the sonic bombast of rundgrens production. some song titles: "Beanie G. and the Rose Tattoo", "70's Scenario", "War Baby Son of Zorro", "Johnny Gore and the 'C' Eaters" and, most unbelievably, "Screaming Through December", my new official xmas anthem. this album rocks harder than BTO and is more melodic than the raspberries. for those stuck in the past, come dig this album. it's like living in the not too distant future. than again, as D.H. knowingly sings: "to some people fun is a drag".

2 Comments:

At 10:07 PM, Blogger MO'SH said...

Jesus Christ! Where the fuck did you get THAT album? And can I borrow it? I told you i've been curious about picking up a Rundgren best of, though I suspect, I might want to stick with his producing...

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Brian Kunath said...

Is that the one with "Maneater?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home